How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117373
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just got evicted from a house where we are renting a room.

Customer Question

I just got evicted from a house where we are renting a room. Kyle the son of the owner of the house convincing me not to file a police report against my friend for rape. My friend Seth Kuklinsky been paying for our rent. Since i did not listen with kyle he called police on me kicking me out. So on 7/15/16 the owner of the house served me with notarized paper saying that i am tresspassing. My daughter and i lived in hotels for 3 days and charged up my credit card. Now we are in shelter. I cant afford to pay rooms anymore. Where do i stand here. Do i have a case?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My location is Hawaii. Not sure if you know.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you were not paying rent and you were served a notice to leave, then legally you would not have a claim against the landlord for evicting you I am afraid. Even though you claim it was retaliation for pressing charges against your friend, if he was paying the rent you could be legally evicted if you did not have a written lease in your name I am very sorry to say. However, if you did press charges, then you need to contact the District Attorney handling your case because you can complain against the landlord for trying to intimidate you as a victim to not pursue charges. The DA can also assist you in getting you a place to live where you will be safe to pursue charges and testify as a witness in your case.
You also can sue your friend in civil court against the person who allegedly raped you and seek your monetary damage from him for the rape as well as the costs you incurred because you were evicted because he was paying your rent.