Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is online bullying against the law company incorporated in

Customer Question
Is online bullying against the...
Is online bullying against the law for a company incorporated in Seattle Washington?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/18/2016
Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is the nature of the bullying and is the bullying done by a third party used of the gaming vendor's website?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After I played a game, I wrote a review on this game. The game developer gave me a free game which was placed on Steam, another gaming site. I played the game and when I gave a review on the Big Fish site, the customers on the Forums attacked me about the review according to my screen name. These postings stayed up for three days although the company has moderators who supposedly monitor the site.I contacted customer service because I am not able to post on the Forums. However, they did not respond nor addressed nor removed the postings until today, Monday. I contacted the BBB out of Seattle to complain about this. Usually they remove these negative postings very quickly. And this is not the first time I have had problems with them removing negative postings.I got a reply from Customer Service today and got this message.Thank you for taking the time to reply, I do appreciate it.While I am aware that there are certain limitations to your ability to interact with the forums, as a result of the permanent removal of permissions for this area of the site, it is your choice to continue interacting with them in any way.Per our Terms of Use, to which all customers agree upon the creation of an account:We expressly reserve the right, but have no obligation, to: (a) monitor any communications within the Big Fish Offerings, including, without limitation, to ensure that appropriate standards of online conduct are being observed, and (b) immediately or at any time remove any content that we deem objectionable or unsuitable in our sole discretion. Big Fish does not endorse, approve, or prescreen any content that you or other users post or communicate on or through any Big Fish Offerings. Big Fish does not assume any responsibility or liability for any content that is generated, posted or communicated by any user on or through the Big Fish Offerings. You agree to indemnify Big Fish and each of their respective employees, contractors, officers, directors, shareholders, agents, representatives, vendors, and content providers from any liability or damages arising out of or resulting from any content you post or communicate on or through the Big Fish Offerings.Our moderation team will continue to moderate all posts to the Forum Rules, and will do so as efficiently as humanly possible. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have, I'm happy to help. All the best, ***** ***** Support, www.bigfishgames.com Here to help, Monday to FridaySo...is this type of bullying against the law and are their terms not in compliance with the law?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My next step will depend on your advice. I feel that this company may be purposely trying to get me off the site by actions such as this one.
Seems to me that a moderator would at some time during the weekend be able to remove negative posts.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, the postings insinuated that I was being bribed by this developer. First, I do not get paid to write a review. They gave them to a group of us and just asked up to write a review.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
phone number(###) ###-####

Thank you for your follow up.

Please note, according to the JustAnswer.com terms of service, to which you have agreed prior to posting your question, the scope of this website is limited to general information and not any type of legal advice or legal service and the general information should be used for educational purposes only and should not be relied on for any other reasons.

Please let me know if you would like to continue for me to provide you with a general information answer? (please only answer "yes" or "no")?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Basically I just want to know if their terms of service are in conflict with laws regarding bullying and the harassment by others on their Forums?

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, NO.

Basically, there is no law that requires a website which has blogs or interactions between third party users to monitor or delete any derogatory or disparaging posts, since such posts are permitted under the freedom of speech right (protected by the First Amendment of the US Constitution), and while in some cases if there is some type of threat of physical violence or death is made by one third party user to another third party used could be considered a criminal threat, generally the website would not be held liable for such comments or even threats.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law