How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2129
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a diminished value report showing lost value of

Customer Question

I have a diminished value report showing lost value of almost $9000 on my car due to being sideswiped. Also Northside Collision, who did the repairs, has had the car three different times and i still am not completely happy. What are my chances of getting anything if i take them to court?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Who are you contemplating taking to court? The collision repair folks or the individual who sideswiped your car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both companies
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I think you have a good claims if the workmanship for your repairs is not satisfactory, and you are entitled to diminished value damages from the insurance company. You may not get $9000 but you can certainly get something as part of a settlement. You may want to consider small claims court to minimize your legal expenses.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the max amount in small claims? Should i use an attorney for small claims?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The place that sideswiped me is a very large construction company if that makes any difference.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

In NYC, I believe the max amount is $5000. In small claims court you do not need an attorney but you can. If it is a commercial business you may want to then file in civil court. If anything an attorney could make a formal demand that their insurance might take more seriously and be willing to negotiate a settlement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am located in central NY. Can you recommend an attorney i could talk to?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, we cannot refer you but if you contact your local or state bar association, they can refer you to an attorney. They often keep lists of some of the top attorneys.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

IF you have no further questions, a positive rating would be appreciated.