Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am the defendant in a small claims case. plaintiff worked

Customer Question
for me,(off the books), pressing...
i am the defendant in a small claims case. plaintiff worked for me,(off the books), pressing clothes in my dry cleaners. she quit and claimed i owed her more money than what she had earned. there is no specificity in her affidavit to the court. she claims 3 different amounts owed, and has no proof of doing the work she claims she did. a system of tracking her production was set up which she refused to follow, thereby making it impossible to know what she did. how can i ask for a summary judgment, and what rules can i cite to show the frivolousness of her claim?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
7/18/2016
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

Here it should be filed as a Motion to Dismiss stating that the Plaintiff has failed to prove up her cause of action.There would not be any need on your part to concede anything here, she has burden of proof to show she worked, how much is owed, etc.All of this can be raised in a motion to dismiss.The court may not rule on this until she rests to see if she can make a case here, and you can raise it again after she rests but before you have to put on your case.

Here she may have holes in her case, but until it is actually presented and holes remain would the court likely grant your motion.I would go on and file it, see if court grants it or lets it pend until she presents here in court.The court may grant it if the holes remain at trial.If she cannot prove how much she is owed or what she did the court should grant it at that point.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Ray, Lawyer