Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

A man dies and s wife is the trust children money. She gives

Customer Question

A man dies and his wife is the trust for the children money. She gives it to her new husband who squanders it and leaves her. What happens?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: It was her children trust money
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

The wife is legally liable for embezzlement and breach of fiduciary duty to the children and they would have a right to sue the mother for reimbursement. If they are under 18, they would have up until they turn 21 to sue mother for the money. If they are over 18, they have 3 years from her actions to sue her for breach.

.

The second husband doesn't have any legal liability here because the money was entrusted to the mother/wife for the benefit of the children and she is solely liable for what happened to it.

.

.

thanks