How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37380
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A man dies and s wife is the trust children money. She gives

Customer Question

A man dies and his wife is the trust for the children money. She gives it to her new husband who squanders it and leaves her. What happens?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: It was her children trust money
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.


The wife is legally liable for embezzlement and breach of fiduciary duty to the children and they would have a right to sue the mother for reimbursement. If they are under 18, they would have up until they turn 21 to sue mother for the money. If they are over 18, they have 3 years from her actions to sue her for breach.


The second husband doesn't have any legal liability here because the money was entrusted to the mother/wife for the benefit of the children and she is solely liable for what happened to it.





Related Legal Questions