How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Albert Marmero Your Own Question
Albert Marmero
Albert Marmero,
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 197
Experience:  Partner at Long, Marmero, & Associates, LLP
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Albert Marmero is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a suit settled in 2007. I got only part of the

Customer Question

I had a suit for harassment settled in 2007. I got only part of the settlement because my lawyer missed the filing date for the wages lost portion. Can I file suit against that lawyer for missing the date?
JA: Employment law can be complex. Fortunately, the attorneys we work with can answer any questions you have about harassment, and I'd like to match you with the person who's the best fit.
Customer: Potential suit is against another lawyer,,,not employer
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The part of the case for pain n suffering etc., was paid to me. It was a case against dept of treasury
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Albert Marmero replied 1 year ago.

In a situation like this, where you should have recovered funds but were unable to do so because of a missed deadline by a lawyer, you generally can file a malpractice action against that attorney. However, if the settlement occurred in 2007 you may be beyond the statute of limitations for bringing such an action.

My advice would be to consult a local malpractice attorney. If your case has merit, they will generally take the case at no charge to you and then you only pay a percentage of what you recover.

I hope this is helpful. Please provide a rating so I receive credit for responding to you. Also, feel free to ask follow up questions. Thanks.