How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3991
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm not sure if I have 2 separate issues, or one messy one,

Customer Question

I'm not sure if I have 2 separate issues, or one messy one, but I'm pretty sure I need a lawyer. The short of it is I went into business with my landlord, pulled out before it was even inspected. In turn I was illegally evicted (which forced me to lose my other job in the building), harassed and now she's opened and operating the business which is in my name. Do I have a valid case?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

It sounds like you have a viable case for what is called "Tortious Interference with Business Relations" or "Tortious Interference with Contract." Both of these causes of actions are similar and pertain to situations where a party takes action to undermine the business activities of another. Because this kind of conduct is considered an "Intentional Tort" you may be entitled to punitive damages as well as the actual damages to the loss of your business.

This article discusses this type of action in detail. (While it is focused on Virginia Law the concepts apply in each state.):

An experienced business attorney can help assess your case. Most attorneys who do this work will assess your case for little or no cost. This link can assist you in finding local counsel:

This type of attorney can also help you with the illegal eviction issue as well.
I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.
Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.
Kind regards,