How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in County, TX. While I was walking my dog 3 weeks

Customer Question

I live in Harris County, TX. While I was walking my dog 3 weeks ago, my neighbor's dog ran across the street and bit my dog. I took my dog to the nearest ER immediately but he had to be put to sleep 3 hours later due to a fractured lung and 12 broken ribs.The medical bill from the ER is $700.00 and the cost for the cremation is about $200.00. Do I have any legal right to recover those expenses? In addition, should I file a police report and what other rights do I have legally as someone who just lost his dear pet?Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel. I am very sorry to hear of your loss of your pet. Please note that I do not participate in phone calls offered by this site and so I will respond here. Thanks for your patience while I type the information.

Was the other dog on a leash? Was your dog on a leash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other dog wasn't on a leash. My was on a leash.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Yes, you can sue for the amount of the medical expenses, and also I suggest you consider suing for punitive damages since the other dog was not on a leash. That means, the court will consider the value to replace your pet, along with costs to have it chipped, and also it is possible to receive something for your pain and suffering as Texas courts have ruled that way previously.