How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  15 years law practice experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If an illinois resident loses a civil lawsuit in a Missouri

Customer Question

if an illinois resident loses a civil lawsuit in a Missouri court over a breach of contract with a value of less than $3,000, what can the Missouri court do to enforce the judgement in Illinois
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Heather an attorney with 15 years experience. I'm happy to assist for informational and educational purposes.

I'm unclear on part of your question, so could you clarify? You stated that the lawsuit was lost, but then you asked if the court could enforce the judgment. How would there be a judgment if the lawsuit was lost? Could you clarify that point? I think I'm missing something.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is the second time you asked this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please see previous answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
defendant lost, plaintiff won, in Mo court. defendant lives in Illinois, what can be done to enforce Mo judgement in illinois
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that clarification. I apologize that I wasn't able to understand what you were saying. I think I got it now.

If the judgment comes out of the MO court, in order to enforce the judgment in IL, the judgment will first need to be "registered" in IL. You do that by filing a copy of the judgment with the clerk of the court and getting an IL case number. After you've successfully registered the judgment in IL, you can proceed to issue writs of garnishments to take bank accounts, to garnish wages, or writs to pick up property, etc. Has that helped answer your question? I hope so! Let me know if I've answered your question, or if you have anything else I can assist with.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Hi, please let me know if I've answered your question. Thanks!

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Please let me know if I have answered your question. I see that you viewed my answer, but did not give me a positive rating, and did not ask a follow up question.