Briarcliff767
Briarcliff767,
8402582

Can a company add a additive that is already naturally

Customer Question

Can a company add a additive that is already naturally occurring in that product without declaring it? Specifically adding capsaicin to processed frozen Anaheim chili?
Expert:  Briarcliff767 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you. If the product already contains the additive as you state there is no reason to declare the additive. If it is naturally occurring it is fine. As long as you are not adding an additive that will completely change the product or chili itself only then would you need to declare that. Please let me know if you have further questions. Hope

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Although Capsaicin does occur naturally in the chili pod, they want to

add more Capsaicin to make it hotter. It is not the original level of Capsaicin, but an additive.

that is fine. Adding to it as an additive to make it more spicy you would not need to do anything further with the FDA
You would not need to declare the additive