How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16629
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One of the court orders in my 1982 divorce decree was that

Customer Question

One of the court orders in my 1982 divorce decree was that my former husband pay the monthly amount on the bankruptcy we both entered into. Because his first payment bounced they came after me. I ended up paying the entire amount of $10,000.00 since they garnished my pay. I know many many years has passed but is it too late to pursue this issue now? Over these past years he has purchased many big ticket items and I came across the paperwork and thought I would check it out. We both live in Springfield, Ohio. My name is ***** ***** and my phone number is(###) ###-####
Sincerely, ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
I will be happy to answer your question.
Please note that any information is provided for educational purposes only!

Unfortunately, generally, any type of motion to enforce court ordered terms of divorce decree would have to be filed within reasonable time (usually within 1 year of the issue) and unfortunately, it would be generally legally impossible to pursue enforcement of the divorce decree terms, which were breached 30 years ago, due to laches, which is unreasonable delay in seeking enforcement of the divorce decree, among other legal reasons.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.