Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a lot that I have owned 10 years in a gated community

Customer Question
Good Morning Pearl, I...
Good Morning Pearl, I have a lot that I have owned for over 10 years in a gated community in South Carolina and have been paying amenity fees/water & utilities. The fees have been going up each year and since I'm just a lot owner I don't even use these services however I'm still charged (about $3,500 a year now). I've been trying to sell the lot for the past 5 or so years with no luck - gone from $34,000 down to $10,500. At this point I would give the lot away in order to get out from under the fees & taxes. If I just stop paying the fees what are the ramifications? Will it affect my credit (I have excellent credit and don't want to mess up). Thanks for the information. Traci McConnell
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. Real Estate issues can be tricky and expensive. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I haven't spoken to a lawyer.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The Keowee Key Community in which I have the lot is controlled by an administration that people who live there are not happy with. They have even come with a message board for communication as the administration will not allow us to communicate via their owner website - if something is posted that they don't like they take it down. Also, paying fees for something that's not used -for example water when I only have a lot and haven't used a drop in the past 10 years of ownership.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
7/14/2016
Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand these disclaimers.

ANSWER: Yes, unfortunately, if those fees are not paid for sometime, then it will be reported on your credit. Further, if the fees pile up, a lien could be imposed on the lot eventually and then a foreclosure action may be filed to sell the lot at an auction and use the proceeds to pay off the balances owed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No you can email me. Thank you

ANSWER: Yes, unfortunately, if those fees are not paid for sometime, then it will be reported on your credit. Further, if the fees pile up, a lien could be imposed on the lot eventually and then a foreclosure action may be filed to sell the lot at an auction and use the proceeds to pay off the balances owed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK thank you

Sure.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney