LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

How do I file custody of my children in the state of?

Customer Question

Hello , how do I file for legal custody of my children in the state of Virginia?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. It all starts with the filing of the necessary forms, with the clerk of court, in the family division. I have provided a link below with the forms which may be needed, so you want to review them and see which ones apply to your situation and/or call the clerk of court now and ask them which form to use. http://www.courts.state.va.us/forms/district/jdrcourt.html This way, the process will be started and the other party can be served and placed on notice, so they will answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what if I have no address for my ex husband?

You would want to speak with a process server, who can run a skip trace and see if they can find him and/or have the court house serve him with the Sheriff. If he can not be found, then you could publish on him.

I just wanted to follow up and see if there was anything else I can answer or clarify. I am here to help so please just let me know.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.