How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27201
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I file custody of my children in the state of?

Customer Question

Hello , how do I file for legal custody of my children in the state of Virginia?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. It all starts with the filing of the necessary forms, with the clerk of court, in the family division. I have provided a link below with the forms which may be needed, so you want to review them and see which ones apply to your situation and/or call the clerk of court now and ask them which form to use. This way, the process will be started and the other party can be served and placed on notice, so they will answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what if I have no address for my ex husband?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

You would want to speak with a process server, who can run a skip trace and see if they can find him and/or have the court house serve him with the Sheriff. If he can not be found, then you could publish on him.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if there was anything else I can answer or clarify. I am here to help so please just let me know.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.