Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am legally disabled due to anxiety, depression and chronic

Customer Question
insomnia. It took a very...
I am legally disabled due to anxiety, depression and chronic insomnia. It took a very long time to find the best medications and dosage of these medications as well as being able to have a quality of life that is supportive in addition to medication. My last doctor did some very very bad things to me I came here to justanswer regarding that doctor and he had been my psychiatrist for a substantial amount of time and because he knew that I needed him and he was receptive to my own research on my condition and I kept a log of everything that I did,what i took,how much I took,why I took every medication and how I was affected. As a result, finally, I found what works for me. I am certain that I wasn't the first female patient he did what he did to. I told him what I had learned and the trouble he was facing and the time I had to take legal action. I tipped my hand,he called me to take action and I folded. He knew I wasn't strong enough to handle the legal action against him and shortly after he was clear past the time I had to take legal action against him he made some BS to drop me and lied about retirement. All that leads to my current situation. Doctors aren't easy to find, and because the nature of my condition being intangible, no doctor will ever listen to a patient or be willing to give the research of current information from several credible clinics i present, no patient is unique, and so on. I finally found a doctor who actually looked at me rather than a computer screen and upon our initial interview with him he really seemed to understand that my condition is quite real and very dangerous. I do take a fairly high doses of medication for each disability. But, it took a long time and tedious notes and research to find functionality. Nearly every doctor and the god complex makes them very stupid for supposedly smart individuals. With nothing but medical school and the computer not to mention that the brief description of medication that are "controlled substance " is based on patient feedback and we are all guilty of only speaking the negatives. So, these morons won't even be willing to get a read on me. The doctor I am dealing with was at least willing to continue my treatment as is on the condition that I come to a office visit twice a month for my same prescriptions for several months and then I need only to come monthly. I have been there twice a month since January. I missed one time because of the death of my dearest and oldest friend. He gave me a difficult time even then. Still mourning this heartless prick made no further exception. I take my condition seriously especially when I haven't slept in a couple of days. I take care of my mom,if anything happens to me, she could die. I am forced by threat of not having my medication unless I drive the half hour there then pharmacy and home. I am being forced to jeopardize my moms life,my sweet devoted loving service dogs life,my life and everyone on the road just to see more of his staff than him. All of this to have him say.....just refills? Anything else? Every 2 weeks I say .......yes.....no. He is ignorant of what class of medication can be faxed or called to the pharmacy and refuses the knowledge, so I have to wait for my medication, or instead of even that,we have one pharmacy online the island that delivers medication. I'm certain that he's doing something fraudulent, I receive full coverage for my visits as I am legally disabled. I get that he's got his first private practice office and I waited for him to go through the big renovations of the office and I am guessing not cheap. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
7/13/2016
Lawyer: Erin Blohm,
 replied 1 year ago
Erin Blohm

Hello, and thank you for trusting me to assist you with your questions.

You mentioned you have multiple prescriptions that are for controlled substances. I want to direct your attention to the DEA's rule, "Electronic Prescriptions for Controlled Substances". It revised the DEA's regulations to provide practitioners with the option of writing prescriptions for controlled substances electronically. The regulations permit pharmacies to receive, dispense, and archive these electronic prescriptions. The rule became effective on June 1, 2010. However, it is not mandatory, and depending on the practitioner, he can require you to come in for a visit prior to providing you with a prescription. Notably, some states require visits before a practitioner may provide a prescription for certain medications. Usually, the statutes require an in-person pick up of the prescription for each re-fill but do not require a full visit except for every third prescription of so (think a month medication requires an in-person visit every 90 days).

Unfortunately, without additional information, your options, legally, appear limited. But you can always visit with your pharmacy to have them reach out to the physician regarding the medications you receive.

Best of luck. I hope this is helpful. If you do not require additional assistance, please rate my service. Please note, the information provided is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client privilege.

Erin Blohm
Erin Blohm
Erin Blohm