How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30384
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend & i split up (he lefted in November 2015),

Customer Question

my boyfriend & i split up (he lefted in November 2015), we are both on the title to the home trailer on a rented lot in Middletown, i since then paid that loan off, i co-signed on a loan for him from one main Financial,now he is threatening me to take the trailer and NOT pay the loan!!! is there anything i can do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

You have the same legal right to the trailer that you do. He can't just take it. At the same time - you don't have any legal right to keep him from it either, because it belongs to both of you. If he shows up to take the trailer out of the where you've parked it, you can call the police, but you can't be there all the time (and shouldn't have to be). Usually, when two people buy property together and break up, one of two things happens: either the person who stays behind buys out the other person's interest, or they sell the property to a third party and split the money. This can be achieved by a Petition for Partition, which is filed in the local courthouse. He'll be required to sign the title over to you as part of the case.

If you're going to buy him out so you can continue living there, you can ask the judge to order that you be allowed to pay what you owe him directly toward the loan that your ex was supposed to repay and is now claiming that he won't. Or the judge can order that his share of the money be put into an escrow account, held until the loan is paid in full.

The other option is to sue him for any payments you have to make on the loan to protect your own credit, but it may be a lot easier for you to do everything in one case at the same time.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.