How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29979
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Yesterday I was driving and a car infront me crash and so I

Customer Question

yesterday I was driving and a car infront me crash and so I wouldn't hit the car I turn and couldn't break and hit a stop sign I was shaken up and drove off i don't know what to do
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Illinois and in Morton grove niles
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I was driving my dads car which isn't under my insurance
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Leaving the scene of an accident where property is damaged is a Class A misdemeanor. 625 ILCS 5/11-404. If anyone at the scene of the accident saw you hit the sign and got your information, you could be charged with a crime. You are not required to contact police to turn yourself in or tell them what happened. If police contact you, you have no obligation whatsoever to talk to them, and you're allowed to bring a lawyer with you if you choose to do so. They'll ask for your insurance information, and there could be additional charges for driving without insurance. Before they can punish you for a crime, they have to give you notice of the charges and an opportunity to defend yourself, so there's plenty of time to get a lawyer if you need one. Most likely, if you don't have a criminal record, they'd ask you to pay a fine, pay to replace the sign, and maybe do some community service or serve a term of probation.

You're also legally responsible for paying to repair any damage to your father's car, even if you didn't have insurance at the time of the accident. If he actually took you to court (and I hope he wouldn't), the judge could report the accident as a hit and run after hearing how the car was damaged.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No one saw me hit the sign so what do I do
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

We're not allowed to tell you what to do. That choice is up to you. All we can do is provide facts and explain the options.

Since the owner of a stop sign isn't exactly standing around when it's hit, it's possible that you would not be charged with a crime for running into it. However, you could still be charged with driving without insurance. You are not required to turn yourself in. A person has an absolute right not to incriminate themselves. You CAN contact police, file a report, contact the city and offer to pay for the sign. But you do not have to do so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But what would be the best decision for this situation
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, but I can't tell you what's best for you. This site is for providing legal information for educational purposes only. If I tell you what to do, I am giving legal advice, which is a violation of the terms and conditions of the site, and the laws of your state and mine.

You have the option of turning yourself in or not. If you turn yourself in, you will probably be charged with a crime. They'll fine you at least $500 and suspend your driver's license. If you do not turn yourself in, chances are that nothing will happen to you (other than having to pay for any damage to your dad's car).

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?

Related Legal Questions