How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31684
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a house under a land contract, where the seller

Customer Question

I purchased a house under a land contract, where the seller is financing, per the contract I pay for taxes and insurance. However the insurance was cancelled by the company and no one will insure the house, due to age, damage, unpermitted ad on etc etc. I am still paying for the insurance but the seller doesn't have any. Isnt she in breach of contract?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Tennessee
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Well when the roof first began to leak in 2013 she refused to call the insurance company, in 2015 she finally did file a claim, but since she didn't try to prevent more damage the wouldn't pay for all of the damage, but they did pay for some of it, but she kept the money and didn't tell me anything.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Is this a robot?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm licensed in Tennessee. I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If your land contract requires the seller to maintain insurance until you make the purchase, then yes, the landlord would be in breach of the contact. You would have the right to sue for breach of contract and seek damages specific performance (to force him to get insurance) and/or for breach of contract and seek damages.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

You should consult a local lawyer to review your contract and then issue a demand letter to the seller demanding that he comply, and if that doesn't work, you can proceed with filing suit.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

I see that you're currently offline, but when you come back and read this, let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks!