Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

Flood loss...adjuster zeroed out some of the house and

Customer Question

flood loss...adjuster zeroed out some of the house and contents from the POL. 2009 was the last flood we lost everything this time photos, receipts etc. Adjuster is saying that the floors and cabinetry and a few other things were not replaced. We were lucky the contractor who did the work is still in business however he doesn't have receipts from when he did the work since it was in 2009. Not sure what to do
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet...according to National Flood Insurance Program we have to sign the POL before they can look at it and determine if they agree with the adjuster or not then we can continue with not agreeing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do we sign the POL even if we don't agree with the adjuster?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mother has flood insurance. Her home flooded out. She lost everything this time. She is with NFIP. The adjuster come out took a few pictures. It is our understanding that he got photos from the previous adjuster from 2009. He is saying that the wood floors and cabinetry were not replaced in his opinion. With loosing everything we have no back up. We were able to find the contractor who did the work however since it has been 7 years he has no receipts of the product. He recalls doing the work and he remembers what he did but no receipts of purchased items.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Let me opt out of this one, I haven't worked with POLs that much.. Another expert should pick up pretty quickly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even on the contents he zeroed out items stating that it didn't looked damaged...example a tv that was on the floor...mother had four inches plus water in her house...you can see the water line. He put a zero on it cause he said it didn't look damage.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

The purpose of a proof of loss is to provide the insurer with specific information pertaining to your claim of damages. I would think that you should have already signed the proof of loss BEFORE you submitted it to the insurance company. After the proof of loss is submitted, the insurer usually reviews it and replies. The insurer may accept or reject the proof. Normally, an insurer should only reject a proof of loss for technical reasons, such as the proof is not properly filled out, is missing supporting documentation, is not signed, or is not notarized. Given how this process works, if you don't feel comfortable signing one that he has now marked on, then you can either prepare a new one and sign and date it and then have the adjuster come out again. Or, you can sign the one he has written on; put a date next to your signature; and state next to that: "Insured(s) reserve the right to legally contest the insurer's comment and assessments."