How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1361
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Legal Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been summons to a payment hearing in a small claims

Customer Question

I have been summons to a payment hearing in a small claims court but have no income or anything what can they do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. If you have been summoned and served to appear at. Small claims court hearing, if you don't appear they may be able to obtain a judgment in default. That said, they would still have to collect on the judgment and enforce it. However, if you have any assets then they cannot collect against you. You would be judgment proof. However if obtain any assets in the future they could collect for the life of the judgment, until it expires. Different states have different limitation for judgment enforcement and collection. I hope this helps.