Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My sister is a hoarder and lives in an apartment which is

Customer Question
completely full of junk. floor...
my sister is a hoarder and lives in an apartment which is completely full of junk. floor to ceiling, wall to wall. She has decided to move into my elderly moms house. sister constantly moves more and more stuff to moms house and it's disgusting. Mom will not sign the papers to evict sister who spend a lot of time over there. What document should I use to remove all the junk from moms house? -Mark
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. Real Estate issues can be tricky and expensive. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: sister will not listen to reason. she refuses to throw anything away. I need to sell moms house to pay for assisted living, but house is unsellable with piles of stuff everywhere. How can I legally remove the piles of stuff?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
7/10/2016
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am very sorry to learn of this situation.

While your mother (I assume that your mother is the only title owner on the property), is the only one that can perform the eviction, given the nature of this situation (you have a hoarder that has moved into a an elderly person's home, and the elderly person is unable or unwilling to establish their own rights) - this is when you need to report the matter to Adult Protective Services.

Alternatively, you can consider petitioning the court for a conservatorship/guardianship of your mother (this would give you legal control authority over your mother and her property - enabling you to evict your sister).

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney