How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9996
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my ex boyfriend has items that belong to me and stated he

Customer Question

If my ex boyfriend has items that belong to me and stated he would pay or return them by a specific date but did not keep his word. I called the police and had them come to the apartment to get the items but they pretended they were not home. They begged for me not to get the police involved in the situation so I took my belongings back forcefully, no physical contact. However, he still owes me over $900. How should I go about receiving my money?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this; fortunately small claims is designed as the people's court-essentially an expedited and simplified legal process by which one can sue another for wrongfully withheld property.

Basically, oral and written contracts are both enforceable, they just need to be proven. A written contract would require a copy of the contract; an oral contract would allow for evidence to be introduced such as declarations/affidavits, emails, texts, etc.

If a person is in wrongful possession of another's property, that cause of action is wrongful conversion.

In both situations, the purpose of the court is to restore the plaintiff to the position s/he would have been in prior to such action by the defendant that resulted in the filing of a suit.

Judges prefer it if a demand letter, requesting the desired relief, is sent (certified mail with receipt so proof of sending it can be provided); normally there is a date that is stated, stating that the party will pursue their legal remedies should the recipient of the letter fail to rectify the situation.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

checking in on the above;

thank you for using Just Answer!

Related Legal Questions