Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I lost my farm to foreclosure in 2010 illegally. It's been

Customer Question
I lost my farm to...
I lost my farm to foreclosure in 2010 illegally. It's been sitting empty ever since, and HUD supposedly now owns it. I've called every HUD agency I can find in Kansas but nobody has a case number ***** it, as I was going to see if I could buy it back. I was told it does have a 'title issue' and they won't sell it until that is resolved, but nobody seems to know what that issue is, and they're not doing anything to get it resolved. They have stated this to me, yet claim there's no case number ***** their computer for that address? I don't know how they can know anything about the property if they don't have a listing to look at?? Anyway, the property is just sitting there deteriorating, and I want it back! Am considering just moving back in and see how long it takes them to come knocking on the door? Bet someone will have some info on it then? Could use some advice on this.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: It's in Linn County, Kansas.....
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: What kind of paperwork are you referring to?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
7/10/2016
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Do you know if the keys work and you still have access?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I don't have access. They've put padlocks on every door on the property...house, barns, ect.

Thank you. If you do not have access any longer, then you could not simply return. The reason why I say this is because if the farm was foreclosed on and sold, then you are no longer the legal owner of it and can not enter without trespassing. If you did, you would be committing a criminal offense of not only trespassing but breaking and entering. Had you never left and simply remained after the foreclosure, it would be a different story, since the bank would then have to proceed and evict you to remove you, since you would be holding over. If the foreclosure was illegal, the remedy would be to sue the bank for relief.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Tina, Lawyer