How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16367
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in California and in March was off. I revived a

Customer Question

I live in California and in March was laid off. I revived a severance agreement that I signed and returned however before I did so, I crossed out a couple dates and out in revised dates (i.e. They said I would be paid by end of June and I wrote 5/15). Anyway, I never received a counters igniters but via email was told it was received and I received emails promising payment by the original end of June date.
Now we are passed the due date, I have not received payment (because they say they don't have the money) and they are now saying the agreement is probably not valid due to my cross outs.
My question is - are they right or is the contract valid?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --


They are correct in stating that the contract with the crossed out dates is not valid because they never countersigned and returned it to you (both parties to a contract must agree in writing to any amendments like that). However, they reconfirmed the original contract in their email to you and thus should have honored the terms of the original contract. In a situation like this, if you were an hourly or salaried employee and not an independent contractor, you can file a complaint with the CA Dept of Industrial Relations -- here is a link: If the claim is less than $12,500 you can also take them to small claims court,


I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need any further assistance. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time assisting you today. I am not credited for this time unless you press a positive rating above before leaving the website. THANK YOU VERY MUCH