How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  15 years law practice experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am retired 62 year old male (queer). A few days ago a 12

Customer Question

I am retired 62 year old male (queer). A few days ago a 12 year old girl came to me and my lady friend and requested shelter at our home. My lady friend has been friends with the girl for some time and I am a recent acquaintance with the girl. I took her to the police station and they advised me to take her to her home while they went there also. The next day she ran away from her home and came back to my home and has been here since. Her father is deceased and her mother is homeless. Her legal guardian is her 65 year old grandfather who is a speed freak and is very neglectful. The grandfather's live in girlfriend is cruel and abusive to both the girl and her grandfather and the girl is very fearful of her. My lady friend and I are exploring the possibility of becoming the girl's foster parents but have not yet submitted any paperwork. We all get along great with each other.
Am I at legal risk for sheltering the runaway girl? The girl says she will run far away if she is forced to go back home. She does not want to go to Child Protective Services because she does love her grandfather and does not want him to get in trouble. We have not yet notified CPS.
Any suggestions?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience and I'll be assisting for informational purposes.

This is a very nice story and I am very happy to be assisting you tonight; however, I wasn't quite clear what your question was. Would you be able to clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I at any legal risk for sheltering this girl?And any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I at any legal risk for sheltering this girl?And any other suggestions?
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

I do not think you are at legal risk, per se, but the right thing to do is to make a report to CPS. This child is clearly neglected and the state should be notified.

However, you should inform CPS that you would like to be the guardian/foster parent. If they will not cooperate (and it's entirely possible that the child is removed from your home and put with another foster family as soon as you make the report), then you can file a case in juvenile court asking to be appointed guardian of the child, if applying to be a foster parent does not go through quickly enough.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just checking in to see if you could let me know if I was able to answer your question. Thanks!