Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I didn't mean to leave my dog at the backyard over night.

Customer Question
the animal control took my...
I didn't mean to leave my dog at the backyard over night. the animal control took my dogs and we went to the court, they decide to divested our ownership. we want them back
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
me and my wife move from Houston to Dallas. we put our 2 dogs at the backyard over night since we don't have friends in Dallas. the judge divested our ownership with them . we didn't mean to leave them outside with high temperature. we love them . we have them for almost 8 years since we adopt them. we travel with them so many place. we built up a lot of relationship between each other.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We just want them back. we just have a new born baby in the house. and my wife is already upset about they took our 2 dogs away for almost 10 days and now they telling us to divested the ownership.
7/9/2016
Lawyer: AttyHeather, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years law experience, and I'll be assisting for informational purposes.

This is a very difficult situation. Especially because it sounds like the judge has already made a ruling. You probably have a very limited period of time to either ask for reconsider, or to set aside the order, or appeal. These are very difficult legal motions, and you will need to probably get an attorney if you are serious about getting QQ and Nana back. I'm so sorry that this has happened. How terrible. I hope I have answered your question. Can you let me know if I have?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no, I need advice from you and how to get my dogs back . not an attorney telling me to look for another attorney for help

I will go ahead and opt out from assisting you, because this website is not set up for me to prepare your documents for you, and what you are asking requires an attorney to examine your case and the filings, and then evaluate which motion would be most appropriate to file in your case. I'm sorry I was not able to help you more. I'll open up your question to all of the other attorneys on the site, and maybe someone else has a better answer for you. No need to respond, before another expert checks in with you, because that will only send the question back in my que, since there hasn't been another attorney pick up your question yet. I really do hope you are able to get your dogs back. Thank you for using justanswer.com.

Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Different expert here.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

As the other expert pointed out and as the website explains repeatedly before the click throughs, the experts o JustAnswer provide information on legal topics and answer questions. W can't prepare documents for you, we can't tell you specific language to use, etc. I don't think the other expert meant to be interpreted as just telling you to hire an attorney, I believe she was just trying to make it clear that this is a complicated matter and since you will be facing an attorney on the other side, actually the District attorney's office, then you likely will want to strongly consider hiring an attorney.

However, now that that is out of the way, are there specific questions that you need answered?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a chance I can get my dogs back, because we treat them so well all the time. we bring them to the dog park. travel with them. sleep with them. base on what they saw on that scenes. I am not denying we did make a mistake. at least release them back to us and give us a chance.

There is absolutely a chance that you can get the dogs back.

Did you have a hearing yet? I can't tell from your facts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, I am not quite understand what the letter said from the judge. if you can tell me what is it about. can I email it to you the letter?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we did a hearing already.

You can attach the letter to this. There should be a paperclip somewhere on your screen that allows you to attach documents. I need them attached in PDF or JPEG format.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you see the file?

No, there's no file showing on my screen.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i select the PDF but no response
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it said the file is too big

That's strange. If you see the customer service button there on your screen you can contact the moderators and ask them for assistance. I am going to be going offline in a few minutes and will be back online tomorrow at some point.

We can certainly get this wrapped up this weekend and you can't file anything until Monday anyway.

Ah. that explains it.

Can you just type in the part you don't understand?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
here is the copy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks for waiting

Give me just a few minutes to look at it.

What questions did you have about this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just tell me what is it. do we pay the 422 so we can get our dogs back or?

No, this order says that you are "divested of ownership" which means they are taking the dogs from you and presumably putting them up for adoption at the animal shelter. The $422 is the costs that were incurred and may also bt eht costs of the spay/neuter as well.

What you are going to have to do is 1) put up a bond of $1500 and 2) appeal to the County Court at Law.

You have a very limited amount of time to appeal and you have to file a Notice of Appeal and put the amount of the bond into the registry of the court.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we need the pay the $1500 to the court for appeal?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do i need to hire a attorney

Yes, you deposit the money with the court.

You aren't required to have an attorney but you really do need one. These cases are extremely difficult and very few people can handle one without a lawyer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will we get the $1500 back in the end?

If you win, yes, you should get it back. If you don't win then you may get some of it back but not most of it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if i win. what else i can get beside the$1500
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what is the time limit if i want to appeal
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what kind of attorney i should look for

Nothing in this case. This is purely over either getting the dogs or not getting the dogs. You can discuss this with the attorney.

I haven't looked it up lately but I think it is ten days. These cases are unusual because there are three different sets of laws that apply. You have the civil rules, the criminal rules, and then there are sections of the Texas Health and Safety Code that apply.

As to the type of attorney your best choice would be to go to www.lawyers.com and in the section for Area of Practice enter Criminal Law.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will this case has a black mark in my background?

What do you mean by that?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
or should i look for a animal lawyer?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
record in my background

There aren't very many "animal lawyers" and you would really prefer someone with a lot of criminal trial experience. Most animal rights lawyers are advocates for the animals and don't actually go to trial much.

This is a public record so it will show up if someone does a thorough background check but I ton'd know that it would have much effect.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you know normal how much we have to pay to the lawyers.

No, it varies tremendously depending on he experience of the lawyers, where they are located (and the metroplex area is pretty expensive), etc.

The only way to find out is to cal around and visit with lawyers.

I am about to sign off for the evening. Feel free to post any additional questions you have.

Best wishes to you. I would ask you to please leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can not only continue asking follow up questions, you can also come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if we win the case. will we get money from the animal control

No. This case is solely about whether or not you get your dogs back or not.

If you want to pursue damages against the animal control board that would have to be a separate case.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they break in the backyard.

You can certainly discuss this with your lawyer but it won't matter for this case.

Going offline now. Will be tomorrow. again, please don't forget to issue a Positive Rating so question doesn't time out and close.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if we talk with the animal control department and convince them not to divested the ownership, even the judge had make the decision, can that be a way to slove this problem?

If the judge signs off on the order then it would resolve the issue. However, you don't want to miss the time for appeal trying to reach an agreement.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney