How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13654
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved to carpenter wyoming January 2015 from Pennsylvania.

Customer Question

I moved to carpenter wyoming January 2015 from Pennsylvania. Moved in with my boyfriend. In August 2016 he bought a truck. And I paid close to 3,000 dollars for his taxes. I have a copy of the check. I spent several thousand dollars while living there , but I know I won't get that back. He asked me to leave November 2016. I drove back east. He said he would pay me back, but he hasn't. I still have several items at his house I didn't take because I was so upset. My question is.. can I get anything back from him? I feel I should get the money back from his truck taxes.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please respond here or at***@******.***
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only respond here. Not email
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

So long as you have proof of him saying that he would pay you back (something to establish that you didn't give him the money as a gift) you could sue him in small claims court for the $3,000. However, there are a couple of things you need to consider:

Unless he has regular contact with the state of Maryland where you are living now, courts there would not have jurisdiction over him. Therefore you'd likely have to file where he is living for the matter to be heard. Thus, the costs of travel may not be worth it.

Second, assuming you do file and successfully prove your claim for breach of contract -which is really what this was - you contracted to pay his taxes in return for him later paying you back --all you'll get is a judgment -a court order that he owes you the money. The court won't force him to pay you on the spot, of course. And sometimes, chasing after a person and trying to enforce the judgment, attempting to garnish wages or seize funds in bank accounts -can cost more in time and money then the lawsuit itself.

Please understand, I'm not saying you can't sue. I'm just telling you there are factors you are up against that will make it difficult to recover money.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome. I'm sorry the news couldn't be more positive, but I wanted you to have all the information. Please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars so I am credited for my time and assistance. Thank you!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you had further questions or needed clarification about my answer?