How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27549
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Four years ago i was arrested in a park drunk in public. It

Customer Question

four years ago i was arrested in a park for being drunk in public. It was a park in the mountains where there was no public. I do not remember the arrest at all, i remember waking up in a cement cell naked. They told me that i said i wanted to kill people and myself and sent me to a mental hospital. Then next morning at the hospital i talked to their team of psychologists and we all knew this was a waste of time and they released me immediately. Then they send me a 2.5k$ bill. If there was a reason to kill myself its because i can never afford bills like that. So to keep myself from depression i ignored it. Then a couple weeks later i get a warrent for my arrest sent to my parents house. This as well i also ignored, and ive been ignoring it for years. They apparently dont care at all about it. It has been too long now to keep ignoring. I need to get this taken care of so i can go on with life and be happy. However, i have not updated my ID since this event happened. I have a steady job and living arrangment so i havent had a necessity to update an ID. I have been an alcoholic for 12yrs now and its part of why i dont care about any of this. Ive been thinking to just go to the cops n turn myself in for the crime of "having feelings of an almost human nature". Ive run the scenarios over in my head an came to the conclusion that i need a mediator.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. Can you share with me, if you know, the reason for the warrant? Was it for failing to appear on the drunk in public charge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive no idea of the warrant charge. I beleive thats its refusal to pay the med charges when they forced me into a hospital.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. That is typically a civil issue, not criminal, so you certainly want and need to find out and check what the warrant was for. If you never resolved the drunk in public charge, then the warrant is likely a result of that. If it turns out that it is from the bill, you likely could resolve this by paying the bill and filing a motion to life the warrant. Prior to turning yourself in, try and find out 1) what the warrant is for and 2) speak with a bonds man who can post the bond for you, so you can be released. Once the warrant is served, you can then appear in court to resolve this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea ive already thought of all that but its all just extortion. Ther is no reason i should give anyone money because i was depressed. That is just more cause to accept suicide.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

I do understand your concern. Even though this may be the case, there is still a legal obligation to pay. I have an obligation to be upfront and honest with you and provide information which is accurate, so I kindly just ask that you keep that in mind. Please let me know what else I can answer for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Super great living in a society where i get punished for being realistic
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

The police had no choice, based upon the situation at the time. They did it for your own protection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only i can protect myself. Its the same for everyone.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I do agree. However, they do have a policy and procedure which needs to be followed and if you do not remember anything, they had no choice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Choice always comes with consequence.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any other legal questions I can answer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since they are cops that makes them immune?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

No, but there would need to be a legal basis to sue them and the department. If you were a risk/danger to yourself, they had no choice but to place you in the hospital until you were sober and could be evaluated. If you were saying you wanted to kill yourself and others, they could not simply leave you in a jail cell.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont remember telling them anything. I was blacked out drunk. I woke up in a cell. So they interrogated me while i was drugged. Is that legal?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

No, it is not and if they did, it could be suppressed. They could not use it against you. However, if you were saying things, voluntarily, it is not illegal at all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya. f**k this. This is not humanity should be
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

I understand. Is there anything else I can answer?