How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Olivia Kent Your Own Question
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 871
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Olivia Kent is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend of mine who was moving to Austin, TX from Mumbai,

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: A friend of mine who was moving to Austin, TX from Mumbai, India and her parents requestd me to renew my apartment lease so their daughter can have a home with her chosen roommate. I did that. After doing that, she bailed out, and the apaprtment complex did not allow me to cancel the lease. I ended up having to sublease the entire year, and have lost close to $7000 in this process.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: Whats the process to sue her ?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Nope.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have the email conversations as well as the electronic communication leading up to this issue
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: And: I have her telephone number and email ID, but not her address.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything. If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, I am on a mobile unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response – but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. I'm so sorry find yourself in this situation. Oral contracts are tough to prove – however, if you have anything at all in writing you can at least try to argue that there was a contract. You can also try to argue that you detrimentally relied on something they said to you – but it is a tough argument based on what you have told me to so far. In other words, you haven't indicated that they said they would give you XYZ if you did ABC, which generally is required to show detrimental reliance. Based on what you have described, they have asked you to do something and you did it. Your best bet would be to file a claim in small claims court because it doesn't require an attorney. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need me to clarify anything. Please do not post a negative rating if there something you remain unsure about. Please ask a follow-up question, which I will be happy to answer.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
What you would do is you would prepare a document called a complaint and you would file that with the court and then serve it on the other party. They would then have a period of time in which to file a document called an answer, which is their response to your complaint and it would include any defenses they have. I hope that makes sense.
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I noticed that you have not yet submitted a rating. If there is any additional information you need please respond in this thread and I'll be happy to assist you. If you have all of the information you need, could you please take a moment to leave positive feedback so that I receive credit for assisting you.

Related Legal Questions