How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33547
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will be getting married and I have some tax related issues

Customer Question

I will be getting married and I have some tax related issues from a prior business and marriage, where I owe the IRS and am in negotiations through my CPA with the IRS on a repayment plan. If I get married, does this tax debt transfer to my new spouse or affect them adversely. If yes, what recourse do I have other than not legally getting married - just doing a religious ceremony.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

As a general rule, your personal federal income tax liability generally remains your own personal federal income tax liability even after you are married to another person.

It is possible a federal income tax claim for refund is generally seized when you subsequently file a joint return with a spouse that owes federal income taxes. If this happens, your spouse must file an injured spouse claim (not to be confused with an innocent spouse claim) in order to get individual relief, or file separately.