How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9996
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had been using a guy from a "Craigslist add" to weedeat

Customer Question

I had been using a guy from a "Craigslist add" to weedeat some properties we own and recently weedeat at our own home. He punctured his foot with a piece a wire that went thru his tennis shoe and originally agreed to pay his expense for tetanus/UC costs. Never heard back until recently and states he had to have surgery but kept costs down and requests 589.00 to cover his out of pocket expenses. Questions:
1). If we pay this amount will be setting ourselves up for further requests of cash in the event he says he cannot work and it's our fault?
2). If we agree to honor our original offer to pay his expenses would you recommend using a money order vs personal check in order to minimize a paper trail?
3). Should we just ignore his email completely and hope he goes away? Side note. I do feel a bit of responsibility to pay him something but just do not want to set a precedence for him to "return to the well"
Thanks so much!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

A few minutes please as I prepare a response.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

If the person does not have a valid company, then that person would not have worker's compensation. The homeowner can be liable for any damages suffered by someone they employ to do work on their property. Most insurance policies will not cover this type of claim (although the policy should be reviewed to determine if there is any coverage)

If there is no coverage, then before paying any money, it is best to have an attorney draft a release- basically a statement stating that the settlement is in exchange for a full release and that the individual waives any and all rights to any additional recovery in the future.

That is the standard practice when someone voluntarily accepts responsibility for an injury.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Checking in on the above;

Thank you for using Just Answer.