How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37816
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father suffering from dementia is about to be kicked out

Customer Question

My father suffering from dementia is about to be kicked out of a nursing home for ostensibly "not making progress". I have been here w him from day 1 (6/25) and he has made remarkable physical progress. Mentally not so much. Is this grounds for terminating his Medicare coverage? Thanks, ***** ***** Leonard
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Leonard,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I think that the real issue is that he is stagnating in his progress as of the last assessment performed. The fact that he is not making progress is a static assessment and not an assessment of progress from entry to the rehab facility to date. The facility cannot be paid by Medicare if he is no longer deemed to making progress through the therapies he is receiving and they are forced to release him, charge him the full daily cost or treat him at no charge, which is unlikely to occur.

If he is not capable of caring for himself and there is no one at home to care for him, you will need to look into a more traditional nursing home, and not a rehab facility where he appears to be located now. Many rehab centers work in conjunction with nursing homes and you should speak with the social worker at the rehab facility about transferring him to a nursing home to be paid by Medicaid, if that is appropriate.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

If I have already provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,