How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Atty Your Own Question
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9366
Experience:  attorney at self
Type Your Legal Question Here...
N Cal Atty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Relocated from texas to Oregon moved wife and belongings in

Customer Question

relocated from texas to Oregon moved wife and belongings in feb.i moved in may as was locked in lease and could not afford to leave then I quit may 6th to join my wife she took job caregiver as sister was paralyzed in auto accident can I draw unemployment after relocating from texas
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Relocating to Texas won't harm your chances to draw unemployment if you were entitled to draw it in Oregon. The states work together on these issues.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I moved from texas to Oregon was wondering texas penalizes you when you quit your job and relocate or not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for confusion moved to be with wife who chose to be care giver for her sister who was paralyzed in auto accident was trying to draw unemployment from texas living in Oregon was denied by texas because I quit my job not sure about penalty for quiting or penalty for moving to be with wife
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

All states look down on quitting but it has nothing to do with relocating. The Texas rules and the Oregon rules are the same as to these issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still do not know if I can draw unemployment from texas once quit job to relocate and be with spouse was told six week penalty for doing so I thought you knew the texas laws
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

I do know Texas laws. As I said, you don't lose unemployment just for relocating.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You asked if you were penalized for relocating and you are not.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If you are denied in Texas, then you would be denied in Oregon. You are in no way penalized for relocating.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

In addition, you can apply in WAshington itself and have the money deposited into your bank account.

The Washington state website says:

Q. How do I file a claim if I have moved or am going to move out of Washington state?
A. If you worked in Washington state, you may choose to file a new claim online or by calling the claims center. You can do this either before or after you move.

If you worked in Washington and another state(s) in the past two years, you might have a better claim if you apply for a new claim against Washington and combine your wages from the other state(s). If so, you must call the claims center to file this type of claim. You may not use the online application to file a combined wage claim. You must have wages in Washington in order to file a combined wage claim against Washington.

If you collect unemployment benefits from Washington, you must register for work in the new state. Go online tofind the nearest local employment office or check the government pages of your local telephone directory.

After you move, file a change of address.

If you have specific questions, call the claims center.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my denial said due to quiting my job I was denied unemployment I will file appeal not sure if have leg to stand on
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm going offline but if you can explain to me what your purpose of quitting and moving is them maybe I can help you to phrase it.

I would ask you to issue your positive rating since I ddd answer your initial question(s) and these are actually additional questions. I certainly don't mind assisting but I do need for you to issue Positive Rating so I get credit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seriously not satisfied could care less about drawing out of Washington if you read my test text you side stepped my question about being able to draw unemployment from texas once I quit my job which I did in may I moved my wife and belongings In feb. i moved in may when lease was up my wife took on responsibility of being sisters care giver after auto accident left fer paraplegic .the state telecenter says unemployment when quit six week minimum if quit to join spouse
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to opt out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it sounds to me like am being penalized for quiting with six week penalty minimum due when you quit to relocate to be with spouse
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 1 year ago.

New Expert here. states:

"You may be eligible for benefits if you quit for one of the reasons listed below


Quit to move with your spouse when the move is not part of a qualifying military permanent change of station (PCS). You may be eligible for benefits but you will be disqualified for 6 to 25 weeks, depending on the situation. Your maximum benefit amount is also reduced by the number of disqualified weeks."

You are correct, Texas will penalize you for quitting to relocate to stay with your spouse. But you are eligible to collect unemployment under Texas law, so I think you will win your appeal.

I hope this information is helpful.