How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102601
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a capias warrant and wanted to know what it meant and

Customer Question

I have a capias warrant and wanted to know what it meant and what I should do.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: I'm located in Mass and it is a small blue paper that says capias warrant notice. Telling me to be in court tomorrow and report to a person in the clerks office.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I cannot afford a lawyer. Will I need one?
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I'm not even sure what it is in regards to.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. A capias warrant is a document that asks the police to arrest someone, often for failure to show up in court. This is given out if/when you fail to show up for a court hearing.

This can be due to any one of the following:

-you failed to show up for a traffic ticket

-you failed to show up for a criminal charge

-you failed to show up for a civil matter relating to family in most cases (which is unlikely, since it is normally called a bench warrant)

Normally someone in your situation can still show up for court if there is another court appearance and the Judge will not take you into custody, but you may be held in the "detained" area until your case is heard. But in serious cases, you may be taken into custody.

You can also call a bail bondsman and find out what the warrant is for, and if the warrant may be quashed by putting down a bond (if so, then is no likelihood of arrest provided that bond is paid).

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

And yes, you want an attorney. If this is a criminal matter, then the Court will appoint one if the Judge feels that you cannot afford one (but this right is generally not extended to minor traffic matters).

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!