How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in a townhome where new windows were installed. There

Customer Question

I live in a townhome where new windows were installed. There has been some issues with the quality of work that I want corrected. The superintendent for the construction company want me to sign a 'Completion Form' stating that installation is complete and satisfactory. I requested that 5 windowsill be changed and he agreed to it, in exchange for my signature. He said that this is between him and I only and not to tell anyone else. We shook hands. Would this be binding in court if he does not follow through. I don't feel comfortable signing until the job is done. He is a bit pushy for my signature.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Hawaii
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The cause for the window change was due to a law suite against the original builders for not putting in the right windows. The homeowners association won the law suit, but the Homeowners had to pay a $3100.00 for the new windows/installation (which I totally disagree with, here is why; There are 3 different unit types, and the one I live in is the smallest and has the least windows, but was still ask to pay $3100.00 as the units that has more windows. What can I do about that?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, the handshake agreement is valid as between you and the contractor and can be sued on in court as a breach of contract of the contractor does not follow through with the agreement he made with you.

But rather than just rely on the handshake agreement, you can ask that he simply write a short note memorializing the verbal agreement, that in exchange for you signing the completion form now, that he agrees to redo 5 of your windows. Then you will have a written agreement which he will not be able to avoid.

However, even a handshake agreement is enforceable in court.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

If I have already provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,