Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My husband received a letter supposedly from the IRS

Customer Question
yesterday regarding a debt of...
My husband received a letter supposedly from the IRS yesterday regarding a debt of $5,100.00. He has not had to file any tax returns since I have been with him which is 2010. Is this a real letter or a scam?
JA: I'm the Lawyer's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Is this for real?
JA: I'm the Lawyer's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Are you for real?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No cannot afford one!
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not to my knowledge!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/6/2016
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Good afternoon. Your husband should contact he IRS immediately and speak with them and verify if this is authentic and sent by them. There are scammers out there, so nothing should be paid until he verifies they sent this and not some third party. A lot of the time these scammers will call someone over the phone but in this case, the IRS does send written letters, for money owed but he should be aware of it and it should only be payable to them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried several times to contact the 800 number for the IRS and also the 856 phone number for the local IRS office without success! Now WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!

Is nobody picking up when you call? Is this the number?

Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time, unless otherwise noted. Residents of Alaska and Hawaii follow Pacific time. Puerto Rico phone lines are open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. local time.

Individuals:(###) ###-####/p>

LegalKnowledge, Attorney