Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My partner and I have lived in years together. What would be

Customer Question
My partner and I have...
My partner and I have lived in Virginia for 25 years together. What would be required for either of us to receive the monthly social security stipend for the other in the event of death. Would we have to be legally married and if so for how long. We are a heterosexual couple
Anne Pallie
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
7/6/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.

Virginia does not recognize common law marriage unless you have actually lived together in a jurisdiction which recognizes it before moving to VA. So unless you have lived anywhere else together (if so, let me know, that jurisdiction may recognize it), you are not married according to VA. As so, SSA only provides SSA benefits to people in common law marriages who live in states which recognize common law marriage. See HERE.

So you would have to be formally married. For spousal benefits, you would have to be married a year. For survivor benefits, at least nine months. See HERE.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law