How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Yesterday I went to a motel with my grand-daughter to rent

Customer Question

Yesterday I went to a motel with my grand-daughter to rent her and her boyfriend a room.I am temporarily using a walker due to a broken hip. The office of the motel was up 2 steep steps with no railing. The only way I could get up the steps was with the support of her boyfriend and getting down was even harder. There is no other way into the office. A person in a wheelchair or using a walker cannot access this office without help. This could easily be fixed by running a ramp from the parking lot to the office along the side of the building. This is the Valley Motel in on Clayton Road in Concord, Ca
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

If you would like to pursue this matter, there are many "ADA" attorneys in California that specialize in pursuing property owners for non-compliance with disabled access regulations in the state. You may even find that you can get a small recovery as the named plaintiff.

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pretty general.I wanted to know if this was worth pursuing. I will be off a walker soon but it will affect others.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way, I do not want an ongoing membership, just this one time.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

The ADA violation is based on failure to permit access. It is not based on the fact that you are relieved from your injury.

As I noted if you want to pursue this, you are going to want to retain a lawyer that specializes in this, California's ADA laws use what is termed a "Private Attorney General Statute" - which basically allows private attorneys to enforce state laws against private business.

  • (You will want to confirm your account with our Customer Service here:, as an expert on the forum, I have no access to your account or billing information, I do appologize for the inconvenience).