How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kim Courtney Your Own Question
Kim Courtney
Kim Courtney,
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  Founder/Member at Food Business Association
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Kim Courtney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son's father has not seen son in two years..messed up

Customer Question

Hi my son's father has not seen son in two years..messed up with health insurance..and is not paying full amount of his child support I want him to cont. Paying until he is 21
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I was told when we had divorce I could use a mediator
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I tried to make arrangements several times for him to pay...see his no avail and I don't like talking to him because he threatens me
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am an attorney and am happy to assist you today.

Yes, you are entitled to have him take care of the health insurance and his child support payments if this is what the agreement was in the divorce order.

If the court is offering you mediation, that is a good option because you can do it without lawyers. Your other option is to file a motion with the judge saying that he should be held in contempt of court because he is not complying with the court order. The judge will order him to comply, and if he doesn't, he could even be arrested. It doesn't usually come to that but it is a possibility. The court can also attach some of his income or bank accounts to get you paid.

So I would try for the mediator first because that is easier and less costly, and you might be able to work it out.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you...this was some relief..he also said he will stop payments when he turns 18 I told you can't unless we go to court..and you owe back pay
Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Right, so he does have to comply with whatever the court order says. If it says 21, then that's what it is. If he wants to change that, he would have to go to court and it wouldn't be likely.

Best of luck. If you don't have any more follow up questions, please be sure to close the question by clicking one of the top three ranking options, which will give me credit for my work with you today.

Thank you and take care.