How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 755
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently found out that my girlfriend move out from the

Customer Question

I recently found out that my girlfriend move out from the house we were sharing and the real estate called her and requested a letter stating why she left and that she was still responsible for paying her share of the rent and refuses to do so what can I DO?
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: and how to I go about talking with him
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet I am located in Orlando florida
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: in which sense , there were no dispute she just had a little to many beers and decided to leave and then requested that I pack her bags that her sister will pick them up and I haven't heard from her since ,, and the realtor called me that they had spoken to her and all she did was hang up the phone
JA: I have an older sister, she moved to the East coast years ago.
Customer: ok and how does that help me
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is she on the lease for the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
her name is ***** ***** lease with mine
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Then she is responsible for payment of the rent pursuant to the lease and she cannot simply abandon the property and not have to pay rent.

The issue is (and I would need to see your lease to tell you for sure), but typically the lease will have language in it that says that if you and her both signed and she abandons the property, then you will be responsible for the full payment of the rent. You would need to read your lease to see if it has that type of language in it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does and the real estate all explain it to her and she just don't care and hung up the phone is there a way I can take her to court and have some one make her obey that contract , I'm a veteran I don't have that much money to cover all the household expenses
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the lease states that we are both responsible for the rent also if any one of us abandon the premises they are still responsible also for any lost of keys and ETC... My question is can I take her to court to get her part of the rent, for she still has keys to the house plus my car keys and neither have been returned
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Yes. You can take her to court for the rent if she has abandoned the property.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long do I have to wait or can I do it immediately it has been already two weeks she has been gone and she has even been so complicated to find for the police is trying to find her security to make sure she is okay and she is not being any helpful , so you recommend for me just to go straight down to civil court and make arrangements
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long do I have to wait to take her to court , would that be civil court
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

You can take her to court immediately once she has abandoned the property. Yes. It would be civil small claims court.