Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live in California. I let a friend borrow the bed out of

Customer Question
my spare bedroom as he...
i live in California. I let a friend borrow the bed out of my spare bedroom as he didnt have a bed and his daughter and grandson were coming to visit. They bisited and almost 2 months went by and still no mention of returning the bed. I was getting ready to rent out the spare room and needed the bed. My ex friend proceeded to tie the bed to the back of his truck and drag it along with the box spring and frame down the street where he dumped it in front of my house. Destroyed. He came back later and shoved the pillows and sheets into my garbage can. All this witnessed by my neighbors. Can i sue him to make him liable for damaging my property?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/4/2016
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi JoAnn. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Yes, you absolutely have recourse here. He damaged your property while in your care and is liable for the loss you've suffered. If he won't pay you for your loss, file suit against him in small claims court. You can do this without a lawyer. Filing the suit will give you the collection options and leverage you need to collect the debt owed you. That's because once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if he doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on him for a debtor examination. That forces him to meet you in court again and answer questions under oath about his assets. After that information is obtained, you have the power to garnish wages, attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property he owns to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney