How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33774
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I was about 11 years old I was scared by police into

Customer Question

When I was about 11 years old I was scared by police into admitting to something I did not do which subsequently got me expelled from school. Like I said I was 11 years old and my parents were not present not contacted when the police harassed me into admission. After the false admission I was placed into a secondary school where I was threatened daily by students with their own personal problems whether it was medical or just behavioral. I eventually stopped going to school an was a dropout by age 16 which effects me to this day. Is there any legal action that can be taken against the police department or school that allowed the police to scare me into a confession that facilitated my current state of life?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

How old are you now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 22 now
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Your problem is going to be with the statute of limitations. I am going to assume for purposes of this question that the statute of limitation is tolled (halted) until you turned 18. That isn't always true but for our purposes I think it is a safe assumption. In MD you have three years to bring a lawsuit for a tort, in this case a civil rights violation. That would mean if the statute of limitations started when you turned 18 then it would have expired when you turned 21.

Certainly it's worth talking to a lawyer in your area that does civil rights law to see if anything else happened to toll the statute of limitations even further but I don't think it is likely. You would want to find a lawyer that does civil rights law, you can fine one by going to and entering Civil Rights in the section for area of Practice.

Civil Rights law is the only way to get any relief based on your facts.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.