How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9967
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my wife files support and/or alimony how soon after do I

Customer Question

If my wife files for child support and/or alimony how soon after do I start paying that. Can she a restraining order filed against me be used to keep me from my kids?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for opening a new question; hopefully you are happy with the service

So the court does not have jurisdiction to award child or spousal support until the date the party files the request; once they file it they will serve it on the other party; the court will have a hearing scheduled (usually 6 weeks out) that will address the issue- and they can make the support order retroactive to the date the request was filed, but NOT before.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

In order to get a restraining order, one would need to prove past or imminent threat of physical/mental abuse; the courts will not want to bar a parent from seeing their child unless there is a justifiable reason for it.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information provided was useful.

Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site:

Should you have further questions please post here; otherwise kindly

--- Rate Positively---
so the site credits me for assisting you.

Thank you and take care!