How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9905
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I file a police report of misdemeanor assault that took

Customer Question

Can I file a police report of misdemeanor assault that took place in another state? Both parties have recently moved out of state.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

What state did the misdemeanor assault occur in? Are both parties in the same state now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happened in NM and we have both moved to Texas.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience as I reviewed this;

so the state where the crime occurred is the state with jurisdiction; the victim can contact the police department and file a report over the phone (some precincts have online forms). The police will then investigate; if they feel they have adequate information to find a crime has occurred the prosecutor will file charges; this can result in an arrest warrant. Under the laws of comity, and Federal Criminal statutes the states can enforce another state's arrest warrant. From a practical perspective it will come down to the seriousness of the crime and the resources of each state - whether the issuing state wishes to pursue extradition; and whether the new state has the resources to extradite. All but 2 states (Missouri, SC) have adopted the Uniform Criminal Extradition Act which allows the arrest of fugitives in a state accused of a crime in another state for which the penalty is at least one year in jail.

If it is a crime of harassment/domestic violence issues, one can seek a restraining order in the new state, but cite prior incidents to support the protective order, regardless of where the underlying action occurred.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

checking in on the above;

thank you for using Just Answer!