How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27198
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have lived in my landlord's rental house years of which I

Customer Question

I have lived in my landlord's rental house for 7 years of which I paid rent for the first 4 years.when I retired 4 years ago he said I could live there rent free and just work with him and not get paid just live there and also drive one of his vehicles for transportation. So I let my car go back and drove either his truck or car. Everything was fine we worked side by side everyday up until May of this year when he started dating this woman and things got serious between them. He just up and told me I was going to have to find me another vehicle because she might find out about me and see his vehicle sitting in my drive because she is from another city in Arkansas but she will be coming around Marion now since they were serious. I am asking now do I have any rights to stay in my home. I know sooner or later he is going to tell me to move. When he told me I could live here rent free 4 years ago he said forever until I was not able to live here bymyself. There was no contract drawn up I have asked him to but he said no he was not going to do that. Do I have any rights or can I get any papers drawn up of my rights?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Absent anything in writing, you would be considered a month to month tenant. Even though you do not pay rent, the court would likely consider the services/work provided to him, as a form of rental payment. When a tenant is on a month to month lease, the landlord or the tenant may terminate a month-to-month tenancy by a written notice given to the other at least thirty (30) days before the termination date specified in the notice. As such, you would need to vacate once he gives you the proper notice, by the end of the 30 days. I know it is not ideal or what you were hoping to hear but without anything in writing, this is likely how the court would view the situation and what he could do, if he no longer wants you to live there.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Related Legal Questions