How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19122
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a closed adoption. Our kids have an ugly past to say

Customer Question

We have a closed adoption. Our kids have an ugly past to say the least, but a book was written, and a photo of them was used in the book, without any written consent from us. I need to know if there is any recourse that I can take? In all other instances (documentaries, etc), their faces have been blurred, but this book was published and is also available online with their images. Birth parents have no rights to the children, and we have a closed adoption.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You would need to demand that all copies of the book be recalled and the photo taken before the book is republished. Otherwise, you can get an Attorney who handles civil litigation to file lawsuit against the author and publisher for violation of privacy and for trying to make money from the picture without your consent.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.