How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31787
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am healthcare power of attorney 99 year old father. s wife

Customer Question

I am healthcare power of attorney for my 99 year old father. His wife (not my mother) is disabled both physically and emotionally. I am going to be away for the month of August. Is it possible to temporarily designate his doctor or someone in his nursing facility as healthcare power of attorney, bypassing his wife, for the duration of my absence. We live in Wisconsin.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

A power of attorney - general durable or healthcare - to be transferrable UNLESS the document says the designated POA can assign duties OR unless the document names an alternate person to serve in your absence, etc.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

The only real thing you could do is have your father sign a new POA naming someone else as his POA (if he is capable). IF he's not capable, then the only way you could get an alternate person named would be to file a petition for a temporary guardianship and get a court order.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!