How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The neighborhood has been having serious nuisance problems

Customer Question

The neighborhood has been having serious nuisance problems with a beer joint. There been group fights and a shoot out, and just plain loud noise. We have submitted a protest to the state alcoholic commission, but they cannot deny the person who leases the joint a liquor license. We do not understand why. Also, why is the owner of the property not held responsible for the continuing problems at her establishment? In early May a car drove into my driveway and caused $6,000 damage. My insurance paid for it. The driver did not have any. He said he had only had a couple of drinks. I believe this was a in retaliation for being one of the persons who has filed a complaint. There will be a court hearing, but I am afraid that the judge will rule in the favor of the person who leases and runs the beer joint. what can we do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.
I am very sorry to learn about this situation. Unfortunately dealing with these kinds of matters is not terribly easy.

However, many times it is easier to work with local officials and politicians than those at the state level (you often will find that they are more responsive to their constituents needs).

Contact your city councilman or county board member (by phone and in writing) notifying them of the problem and asking them to deal with the ongoing nuisance and noise disturbance.

Follow up with this initial complaint by calling or writing again, appear at your next city or county council meeting (make sure to check in advance regarding how to put your issue on for public comment, each government entity has their own process for citizens to raise issues - you are permitted to speak but you must do so according to the process).

You say that you have a court hearing coming up, but you do not say who it deals with precisely.

You can sue the bar owner, as well as the liquor license holder for private and public nuisance (if you plan on doing this, I highly suggest retaining an attorney).