How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33752
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a fire causing extensive damage on or about 1/15/

Customer Question

I had a fire causing extensive damage on or about 1/15/ 2015. State Farm assured me that I was covered to make things whole. Yet, the work done by contractors remains unfinished, and construction materials are piled inside and outside the house creating safety issues and keeping a good portion of the property unusable. The contractor returned once to discuss the unfinished work, safety issues, and damages caused by workers. For the most part the contractor is confrontational and uncooperative. I am seeking to have the work complete, reimbusement for out of pocket monies paid to the contractor in advance, reimbursement for appliances and materials bought out of pocket, and other expenses caused, by the fire and the contractor.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

I may be offline for a while but, if so, I will return later and continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How should I proceed to maximize a resolution ?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

I think you're going to have to have a lawyer at some point so you can keep trying to find one.

You should be able to find a lawyer to assist you by going to and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Consumer Law. Either of those will have the skill set you need.

In addition, if anything that is happening is the fault of the insurance company you can file a complaint with the state agency that watches over the insurance companies at

Also, be sure that you take pictures and video of everything as it is right now.

If you do end up having to pay an attorney to take the case, as opposed to finding one that will take the case on a % basis, then you can sue for those damages as well since attorney's fees are recoverable in a breach of contract case.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.