How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12204
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband t a unoccupied vehicle. He realized he t the

Customer Question

My husband hit a unoccupied vehicle. He realized he hit the vehicle but left w/o speaking to the owner or police. My husband had a malignant brain tumor removed in August of 2014. He had radiation and chemotherapy. Shortly before this occurred he had a medication change. He has voluntarily surrendered his license. He is suffering cognitive issues probably due to the radiation as per his neurologist. He becomes confused and has difficulty w/ short term memory. He had a court date a few weeks ago in which he had planned to plead guilty but when the judge read the maximum penalty he panicked and asked for a continuance. That will be July 5th. I am wondering what is the best way to proceed.
Sue Kepner
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again.

I strongly recommend that your husband retain an attorney. You mentioned several issues with your husband that could be considered mitigating factors, and may relieve him of some culpability. At the least, an attorney may be able to get the charges reduced and the sentence reduced. It is foolish, in my opinion, to plead guilty without any sort of deal worked out.

So, considering how little time you have, I would start calling local criminal defense attorney tomorrow morning. I consider this imperative. I would start by using the Minnesota Attorney Referral Service:

If you can't get a referral immediately that day which results in a consultation that day, then use google to find attorneys in your county. If you leave any messages, be sure to tell them that there is a trial or hearing on Tuesday, and so it's imperative to retain the attorney immediately.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!