How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10012
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a house of my father, we have the same name. I

Customer Question

I bought a house of my father, we have the same name. I called to get service from TDS cable company and they are saying if I want service I have to pay a bill my father owned and into that bill is paid I can't get service. They said send them proof I owned the place ow and not my dad, so I spend 200 at title pro to get the deed sent to me, and sent them a copy. That they requested. Now they are saying that does not prove he does not live with me, and are still refusing service into his bill is paid. Is it legal for them to strong arm me into trying to get me to pay my father's bill to obtain Internet and cable service from them?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this;

If one can prove the purchase of the home, and that they are not the person with the delinquent bill, they cannot deny service based on the possibility that a delinquent customer may reside there. Fortunately this industry is highly regulated and a complaint can be filed here:

If the commission determines that the denial of services is not justified, they will direct the company to arrange services.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Checking in on the above;

Have a great 4th.

Thank you for using Just Answer!